Saturday, March 21, 2009

Twilight saga might be unfilmable

Twilight
Director: Catherine Hardwicke
Starring: Kristen Stewart & Robert Pattinson
Genre: Drama, Fantasy, Romance
Rated: PG-13
Tag Line: When you can live forever what do you live for?
Amazon rating: 4 out of 5 stars
My rating: 3 stars

Plot: Girl moves to new town and falls in love with a mysterious classmate who later turns out to be a vampire. Later on, another group of vampires come into the picture and one of them wants to eat girl. It's that simple.

Review: I came in with a clean slate, per se. I've never read the Twilight books, nor had I any intention of watching this film. However, the hype made me curious so I came around to decide and give it a try. While I didn't hate the movie, I felt there wasn't anything to like either: the characters weren't really molded properly; the actors lacked emotion - any real sense of letting us empathized with their characters; the storyline flopped; the plot felt too familiar and used up (a vampire that can read minds but finds a girl whose mind he can't penetrate really feels like a role reversal of Sookie Stackhouse Series); the climax jumped rather quickly without really any proper set up; or perhaps it's because I'm not the target audience, but my girlfriend's 11-year-old sister was also not impressed by the movie - and she's never read the novels either.

Maybe Stephenie Meyer wrote something better than this and perhaps this isn't what she envisioned her work to be; however, this is what screenwriter Melissa Rosenberg thought it should play out and what the director felt would work. Perhaps it's the fault of the latter two and not Meyer at all, but I feel that is somewhat doubtful.

The bad acting - actually, the lack of acting - has to fall onto the shoulders of the Hardwicke who it seemed couldn't direct the film's actors. I don't want it to sound like I believe Hardwicke can't direct - she did do an excellent job on one of my favorite films, Thirteen - so maybe the fault lies in the hands of the screenwriter.

Because I never read the Twilight series, I can't fully place the blame on Rosenberg's talents - or lack of one, if this is the case. It could be the fact the novels are just "unfilmable,"like so many novels and graphic novels are sometimes labeled.

It may be too late for the sequel for the "saga" as Rosenberg is the screenwriter, but perhaps Chris Weitz may bring something to the film that Hardwicke failed to do so in its predecessor. Only time will tell.



No comments:

Post a Comment